SERVERS: 6 | PREP: 10 mins | COOK: 30 mins
- 225g new potatoes, cut into chunks
- 100g green beans, trimmed and halved
- 1 tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil
- 1 rounded tbsp or 4 tsp homemade Thai green curry
- 400ml can coconut milk
- 2 tsp Thai fish sauce (can use standard fish sauce or worcestershire sauce)
- 1 tsp caster sugar (can use standard or brown sugar)
- 450g boneless skinless chicken (breasts or thighs), cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 fresh kaffir lime leaves finely shredded, or 3 wide strips lime zest, plus extra to garnish
- good handful of basil leaves
- boiled rice, to serve
HOMEMADE THAI GREEN CURRY INGREDIENTS:
- 40g of green chilli
- 20-30g of fresh ginger (also galangal should be added if you have)
- 12g garlic
- 60g of shallot
- 7g of lemon peel (ideally lemon grass if you have)
- 5g of coriander stems (ideally coriander root if you have)
- 1 tsp coriander grain
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds
- 1 tsp of black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp of shrimp paste or fish sauce
- pinch of salt (optional).
- Put 225g new potatoes, cut into chunks, in a pan of boiling water and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add 100g trimmed and halved green beans and cook for a further 3 minutes, by which time both should be just tender but not too soft. Drain and put to one side.
- In a wok or large frying pan, heat 1 tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil until very hot, then drop in 1 chopped garlic clove and cook until golden, this should take only a few seconds. Don’t let it go very dark or it will spoil the taste.
- Spoon in 1 rounded tbsp homemade Thai green curry paste and stir it around for a few seconds to begin to cook the spices and release all the flavours.
- Next, pour in a 400ml can of coconut milk and let it come to a bubble.
- Stir in 2 tsp Thai fish sauce and 1 tsp caster sugar, then 450g bite-size chicken pieces. Turn the heat down to a simmer and cook, covered, for about 8 minutes until the chicken is cooked.
- Tip in the potatoes and beans and let them warm through in the hot coconut milk, then add 2 finely shredded kaffir lime leaves (or 3 wide strips lime zest).
- Add a good handful basil leaves, but only leave them briefly on the heat or they will quickly lose their brightness.
- Scatter with lime to garnish and serve immediately with boiled rice.
GREEN CURRY METHOD:
- Put all the ingredients in a grinding robot and process until you get a paste, reserve for use.